We are running seven popular workshops, talks, dance, and practical sessions over the whole Festival weekend this year. There is a choice of sessions at various central venues, lasting between 60 and 90 minutes. Book in advance to ensure your place.
FRIDAY – 10th August, Starting at 2:15pm to 3:15pm Tickets £8 Note: Free with Weekend & Day Tickets – subject to pre-booking.
1. SWING DANCE PRACTICAL 2.15pm @ the MUSE suitable for all including beginners, led by experts Graeme & Ann from Hoppin’ Mad. If you like Swing and Jazz, come along and learn how to dance to it! It’s great fun and they make it easy to learn simple steps to get you up and running. Please wear flat shoes & comfortable clothing. Finishes approx 3.15pm, £8.
2. UNDERSTANDING JAZZ 2.15pm ‘Seven Steps to Heaven’ An illustrated talk on the inner meanings of the jazz style by Dr Rod Paton at the GUILDHALL Civic Room. Fascinating, informative and fun. Finishes approx 3.15pm, £8.
SATURDAY WORKSHOPS – 11TH AUG starting at 12 noon £10 each
3. GUITAR WORKSHOP & MASTERCLASS 12 noon: PRACTICAL insight & Demonstration of technique with leading jazz guitarist and improviser Trefor Owen, Guildhall Civic Room. The session is suitable for all levels, but students should have some facility on their instrument. Material discussed will be accompanied with printouts which can be taken away for further study. From 12:00pm to 1:30/45pm, £10.
4. JAZZ HARMONICA (2 PARTS) 12 noon: TALK & PRACTICAL with Adam Glasser, Wellington Suite. Harmonicas for sale and experimentation for an additional £15 or bring your own harmonica, but it must be chromatic. An introduction to the fascinating World of Jazz Harmonica (talk and practical) from a leading exponent and an opportunity to learn to play instant jazz harmonica. Harmonicas to play or to purchase if wished (£15). From 12:00pm to 1:45pm, £10.
5. SWING DANCE PRACTICAL 2.30pm – suitable for all, learn with Hoppin Mad at St Mary’s Stage with the experts. Graeme & Ann from Hoppin’ Mad take you through the steps – a great chance not to be missed. Please bring flat shoes & comfortable clothing. From 2.30-3.30pm, £10.
SUNDAY – 12TH AUG starting at 12 noon. Note these run in parallel with MUSE events 12noon-2pm
6. LATIN IMPROVISATION MY WAY, 12 noon £6: TALK by Maite Hontelé from 12-12.50pm (50 min max), Guildhall Civic Room. Maite talks about her vision on how to improvise in Latin music. It will be a relaxed talk with room for questions and discussion. [Please note that this session ends at 12.50 pm promptly], £6.
7 JAZZ IMPROVISATION PRACTICAL WORKSHOP, 12 noon £10 – Jazz Improvisation Made Easy with Rod Paton from 12.-1.45 (approx 100 mins). Wellington Hotel Suite.This workshop will offer a new approach to the art of jazz improvisation for instrumentalists and vocalists. Any player or singer from basic to advanced skill level is welcome – including bass players and drummers. You will need to bring your own instruments apart from piano/keyboard. From 12 to 1.45pm, £10.
You don’t need to be a ‘jazz buff’ or a musician…something for every taste can be found at Brecon Jazz this year! More great lineups (& are included in the WEEKEND, DAY TICKETS & DISCOUNT OPTIONS).
We are making a special offer of £55 for the Sunday – Day Ticket
* WE ARE GRATEFUL FOR THE SUPPORT FOR THESE EVENTS FROM Arts Council Wales *
|12/03/2019||VICTORIA KLEWIN / DAVE COTLE TRIO 12th Mar 8pm @ 8pm 12th||Muse Arts|
|12/02/2019||HUW WARREN TRIO 12th Feb 8pm @ 8pm 12th||Muse Arts|
|08/01/2019||RUTH BOWEN TRIO 8th Jan 8pm @ 8pm 8th||The Muse|
|11/12/2018||SWING STYLE QUARTET 11th Dec 8:00pm @ 8pm 11th||The MUse|
|13/11/2018||DARIO NAPOLI Gypsy jazz TRIO 13th Nov 8pm @ 8pm 13th||Muse|
|11/10/2018||IAN POOLE TRIO & GUEST 9th Oct 8.00pm @ 8:0 9th||Muse|
|11/09/2018||NIGEL PRICE ORGAN TRIO TUES 11th Sept 8.00pm @ 8.00 11th||Muse|
|12/08/2018||HARMONICA JAZZ: ‘Toots Thielemans and Beyond’ Sun 12th Aug 3.30pm @ 3.30 12th||Wellington|
|12/08/2018||Welsh Jazz Folk & More SUN 12th Aug 12:00 @ 12.0 12th||Muse Arts|
|12/08/2018||JIM HART Vibes – Sun 12th ‘Cloudmakers’ Trio 7pm @ 7pm 12th||Guildhall|
|12/08/2018||ELAINE DELMAR QUINTET SUN 12th Aug 2.00pm @ 2pm 12th||Guildhall|
|12/08/2018||Czech Connection Sun 12th 8.30pm @ 8.30pm 12TH||Wellington Suite|
|12/08/2018||JOSEPHINE DAVIES TRIO – ‘Satori’ Sun 12th 5.15pm @ 5.15 12th||St Marys Stage|
|11/08/2018||MANCHESTER JAZZ CONNECTION – SAT 2.00pm @ 2pm 11th||Guildhall|
|11/08/2018||PAVEL PQ Czech Quartet Sat 11th Aug 7.00pm @ 7pm 11th||St Marys Stage|
|11/08/2018||“Speakeasy & Hot Jazz” Sat 11th Aug 7pm-Late @ 7:0 11th||Market Hall|
|11/08/2018||SOUTH AFRICAN JAZZ – SEXTET SAT 11th Aug 8.30 @ 8:30 11th||Guildhall|
|11/08/2018||TOM SMITH SEPTET – SAT 11th AUG 4.00pm @ 4pm 11th||Wellington|
|11/08/2018||SOUNDS OF CUBA – SAT 11th AUG 5.30pm @ 5.30pm 11th||Guildhall|
|10/08/2018||Private: Programme for 2018 ‘SPIRIT OF THE FESTIVAL’ @ 10-12 Aug||Various Venues|
|10/08/2018||Jazz Guitar Duo – Fri 10th Aug 2:15pm @ 2.15pm 10th||Ty Helyg Lounge|
|10/08/2018||Workshops Programme 2018 FRI-SUN @ Fri-Sun||Various Venues|
|10/08/2018||FESTIVAL BIG BAND (16 piece) – Fri 10th Aug @ 7.30pm 10th||Castle Hotel|
|10/08/2018||IAN SHAW – ‘SIDE BY SIDE’ REFUGEE AID FUNDRAISER Fri 10th Aug 6pm @ 6pm 10th||St Marys Stage|
|09/08/2018||Rhys Taylor Dixie Band 9th Aug 7.30pm @ 7.30pm 9th||Theatr Brycheiniog|
|10/07/2018||JAZZ SHOWCASE TUES 10th JULY 7:00pm @ 7pm 10th||Muse Arts|
|12/06/2018||Juan Galiardo Trio – Tues 12th June 8pm @ 8pm 12th||Muse Arts|
|08/05/2018||Easy Street & Guests – Tues 8th May @ 8pm 8th||Muse Arts|
|13/04/2018||Bossa Nova Quartet, Friday 13th April 8pm @ 8pm 13th||Porthcawl Pavillion|
|10/04/2018||Andy Nowak Trio Tuesday 10th April 8pm @ 8pm 10th||The Muse|
|13/03/2018||PYSZ & GUYOMARC’H “TOGETHER” 13th Mar 8pm @ 8pm 13th||The Muse|
|13/02/2018||SIMON DEELEY’S BLUE HAZE QUARTET 13th Feb 8pm @ 8pm 13th||Muse Arts|
|09/01/2018||DEBS HANCOCK QUARTET 9TH JAN 8PM @ 8pm 9th||Muse Arts|
|12/12/2017||MOZES ROSENBERG TRIO 12TH DEC 8PM @ 8pm 12th||Muse Arts|